Sunday, July 17, 2011

El Paso Police Arrest Jogger After He Warns Drivers of Speed Trap

El Paso, Texas

A man in West El Paso is claiming he was thrown in jail last week in retaliation for warning drivers about a nearby police checkpoint for speeding.

Jose Escobar stands at the same intersection where police arrested him last Friday. He hopes passing drivers will remember what happened that day. He says he was warning motorists that an officer was down the road...looking for speeders.

"I was running, jogging here and the police officer was giving tickets up there and I was advising the people to slow down and then he got mad," says Escobar. 

Escobar says he was jogging back and forth at this intersection in West El Paso, giving people a heads up about a speed zone when the officer handcuffed him.

"I asked him ‘Why are you arresting me?’ And he didn't say nothing. And I asked him to give me a ticket. And he didn't say nothing. And just took me to jail," says Escobar.

After five hours in the county jail, Escobar paid $66 and walked out. The formal charge made against Escobar was pedestrian failing to yield right of way to a vehicle. Escobar says jail time for jaywalking is pure retaliation for angering a police officer.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...